Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Scrapping the flotsam and jetsam of life

I don't take a lot of pictures. When I was growing up there wasn't a lot of money for film and flash bulbs and that was the only way we could take photos. Digital cameras are great because you can take hundreds of pictures for the same price as taking one but I have not developed the photo habit.

Just because I don't have a ton of photos doesn't mean I can't scrapbook stuff. I tend to ramble when telling a story and I have no compunction about adding a lot of journaling to my pages. I make these books for my son and my as yet unconsidered grandchildren. They will probably want to know what life was like at the turn of this century. They will want to know what I did and thought, who I knew and who I loved. I know I want to know those things about my grandmother.


As a child I loved going through the drawers and books in a lovely bookcase/desk that was in my grandmother's house. I think the flotsam and jetsam of life is fascinating and always wished I had more of the story. So some of the flotsam and jetsam of my life with be used on pages, even photoless pages, with a more of the story. And you don't even need a lot of stuff to tell the story.

Today's page uses one piece of that flotsam and jetsam from my life. Well all of our lives if you owned a television in 2009. It may seem silly but the change from analog to digital television seemed scrapable and this piece of patterned paper from DCWV seems like it was made to tell this story. I have held on to the card and the paper for years and knew that one day I would finally get it scrapped.



The journaling says:
Since June 12, 2009, full-power television stations nation-wide have been broadcasting exclusively in digital format, before that they broadcast in analog. All TV sets were basically the same for decades then in 2009 everyone needed to either get cable, buy a new digital set or a buy digital-to-analog converter box to watch TV.
We didn’t have cable, which made analog TVs digitally compatible, and there was nothing wrong with out television so we got converters. They were about $40. The US government thought TV was so important that they sent out discount cards so each family could get at least 2 converters free.
After we converted the number of channels we could watch increased – a lot. We got Qubo, a 24/7 cartoon channel. We got Create, a PBS channel dedicated to cooking, crafting and travel. We got MeToo, a channel that plays all the old syndicated comedies from my youth. Plus many others.
Evan loves Qubo cartoons, travel shows and Bewitched just like I do. This year he discovered and fell in love with the 3 Stooges. I’m not so happy about this one, I getting tired of hearing “Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk” and “Woo, woo, woo.” Praying this is a phase.
May 2011

One of the reasons I did this now is there is more story. The channels and shows we watch were not evident 2 years ago. Also I found a font called Gilligan's Island and a television image in the font Bonohadavision by Fabiane Lima on dafont.com. I could have gone with the font Brady Bunch remastered but I liked Gilligan's Island better. I did all the coloring and type layout with the Silhouette Studio software so I could cut it all out with the Silhouette. I was happy to find a grey static texture in the software.




Happy Crafting,

No comments: