Saturday, July 31, 2010

Craft and Hobby Association Super Craft Show



I am still recuperating from a day on my feet at the Craft and Hobby Association's Super Craft Show. This year was the first time CHA allowed the general public to attend, but it was not the Trade Show. I would have loved to attend the BIG show but I am not a member of CHA. I am not, nor do I work for, a buyer, supplier or designer of craft products — yet.

What it was was a chance to shop for things at a great discount (a $15 current stamp set for $5 - score) or shop for things you can only get online, Papertrey Ink anyone.

It was a chance to learn new crafts and try new products.
I did my first make and take at the Papertrey Ink booth with Heather Nichols' assistance. I made a lovely bag at the JoAnn Fabrics booth where I learned all about the new Fiskars products from Cheryl Waters, one of the four lead Fiskateers. At the Splitcoast Stamper's Make and Take booth I saw Sherry Cheevers and worked with Beate Johns on the bracelet below using Tim Holtz products. I have loved both of these ladies work for years. I wanted to talk to Sherry and tell her how much she reminds me of one of my favorite people but didn't get the chance. Just for those in the know - she is so Nancy.



It was also the chance to meet or at least see craft celebrities. My first celebrity sighting was Wendy Russell from She's Crafty. She was one of the people who cut the ribbon with giant Westcott scissors. I saw Nichole Heady, owner of Papertrey Ink, shaking hands at the entrance to her very crowded booth and I got to meet Fiskateer Tami Bayer. It was a chance to meet other crafters as well. Women, and a few brave and supportive husbands, came from all over the place. There were people from Minnesota, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Georgia in line to register on the Spotted Canary website for the T-Shirt, pin, free goody and a chance at the mother load prize basket. I felt like a wimp saying I traveled 30 minutes. I met a woman from Denmark who was debating on whether to purchase an item because it may make her luggage too heavy. I spent a wonderful hour in line to purchase Papertrey Ink goods chatting with Rebecca and Amy, a couple of sisters from the UK, that hour alone was worth the price of admission.

I also met Michelle Ogdahl from Unity Stamp who was promoting their Ippity opportUNITY. She was a hoot during the Provo craft drawings. I signed up and walked away with a business card a stamp set and a lot of ideas for what's next for me. Here is the first card I made with their Straight from the Heart set.



Until next time.
Happy Crafting,

KatieLink

1 comment:

Lynn Stevens said...

What a great adventure this must have been!