Monday, January 12, 2009

Would you like to meet my monkey?

Edited to add contact info.

One of my friends is a sock monkey collector, he has decorated a Christmas tree completely in sock monkeys, and goes to the Annual Sock Monkey Festival in Rockford, IL. He has brought along mutual friends and the event has made many a monkey convert. My schedule never worked out for going to this event and so I didn't jump on the bandwagon when it rolled through town. They have their charm but I've never been a big sock monkey fan. They were not a part of my childhood, maybe that's why they don't have the same appeal.

I have a dear friend, Camille, that really listens when I talk and remembers what I say. We talked about Halloween costumes once upon a time and I told her that I've always wanted to go to a Halloween party dressed as Carol Burnett dressed as Scarlett O'Hara, curtain rod and all. Only the old-timers would know what the heck that means but I'm sure if you remember The Carol Burnett Show's sketch "Went with the Wind" you are snickering now. For those of you who need a little help here is a still of the sketch. The dress Carol is wearing was designed by Bob Mackie (a bit of obscure trivia I picked somewhere). My favorite line from this sketch, " I saw it in the window and just couldn't resist it."



How are these related? Camille knows I would accept a sock monkey gift but wouldn't go out and purchase or make my own monkey. She has a friend that makes sock monkeys and asked her if she would take on the challenge — and now I am the proud owner of the Carol Burnett as Scarlett O'Hara Sock Monkey. 


Isn't she wonderful? 

If you would like to get a monkey of your own you can email Customer Service at sockcreations@yahoo.com and request one of your own. They start at $25 plus shipping, of course the costs go up depending on the complexity of the monkey's outfit and gear. Please allow at least three weeks for delivery.

Camille gave other wonderful, thoughtful gifts this year, all specially made for the recipients. She made a coffee-table book for the monkey collector about a historic home he purchased. She had a special wallet made for another friend that needed a way to keep track of the plastic. The wallet was beautiful, colorful and I'm sure will be a great help to our friend. It was made by the owner of Drea, a handbag Etsy shop. Click here to see what she's got on offer. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading.

No comments: