Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Is… music of the season

 When I was a kid there were only two Christmas records in the house: The Original Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Other Children's Christmas Favorites (by) Gene Autry with Guest Star Rosemary Clooney and Christmas Is… which I think my dad got at a gas station (there is a Good Year tire logo on the jacket).  We played the heck out of them and even though I went through a "collect as many Christmas CDs as you can" phase i9n the late 20s/early 30s I have never found an album I liked better.

The songs on these albums ARE CHRISTMAS to me. I like new interpretations, new songs, new artists but it's like the difference between an artificial tree and a live tree. Maybe there is more sap in these old songs but I like it that way once in a while. Ok every year.

This year I am making a CD of all those songs by all those artists (in that order) for my family's Christmas. I have wanted to do this for years but "Jingle Bells" by The Mills Brothers and "Christmas Is" by The Hillside Singers were nearly impossible to find and the cost of all those songs on separate albums/CDs would have be prohibitive. This year I found them all on Freegal and iTunes. So happy.

Here is the play list. All beautiful and all classics in my mind.


Christmas Is
The Hillside Singers
Winter Wonderland
Jo Stafford
White Christmas
Frank Sinatra
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Judy Garland
What Child Is This?
Vikki Carr
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Tony Bennett
The Christmas Song
Barbra Streisand
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
Bing Crosby
I'll Be Home For Christmas
Doris Day
O Holy Night
Andy Williams
Jingle Bells
The Mills Brothers
Silver Bells
Patti Page
Merry Christmas Darling
Carpenters
Silent Night, Holy Night
Julie Andrews


Happy Crafting,

No comments: