Friday, April 8, 2011

Are you the focal point?

Testing tools and paints tonight
I got out the wood burning tool and a Malma mirror from Ikea and started tracing leaves and vines that I had drawn a while back. It took a bit of patience and the handle would get hot and I'd have to set the tool down for a bit. I finally put on an Ove Glove (sadly without the grippy things) and the handle heating up was not a problem. This is the only 'con' I've found with this tool so far.
Vellum on the mirror to avoid blinding you with the camera's image or flash.
I knew I wanted to paint the frame the Claudine Hellmuth's Studio paint in Classic Teal. Love this color and the paint rocks too. It goes on well, I love the wide mouth container. If you don't want to mix it with another color you don't make any mess. Of course I did want to mix it with a bit of yellow to make the green of the leaves and vines. I was really happy with how well it mixed with the Liquitex acrylic paint in my stash.
Finally I got out a couple of paint pens in black and white to add a pattern to the background. when I started I had no idea what I was going to do. The process was very free and organic. I wondered if Julie Fei-Fen Balzer would have made circles like these if she were making this mirror. Circle, circle, circle, dot, dot, dot.
I don't know if this project is done. Wondering if I need to add lines on the leaves. I also wanted to add some 3 dimensional flowers but didn't like what was in my stash and so it sits. Waiting for some inspiration. Some bright graphic item to jump out of the ephemera in my studioffice. If you have any ideas please, PLEASE, tell me. I'm thinking it needs a focal point OR is the focal point the beautiful face in the center.

Happy Crafting,

3 comments:

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Wonderful! What a treat to read about your process, Katie. (And aren't you ingenious with the vellum on the mirror!?) The circles look stunning and your leaves: WOW. I just signed on for Julie's art journal every day and am about to do my first page. Thanks for the ultra beautiful inspiration.

milkcan said...

Thanks for the link! Your frame is delish! I love all the dots and circles!

Lynn Stevens said...

Love this, its awesome!