Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mixed Results


thank you bird
Originally uploaded by Kalyber

This card is the one day winner of the flickr contest I held with a handful of my cards. It got the most views (5) in the first day it was posted to the groups Paper Crafting, Rubber Stamping Inspirations Gallery, and the
PAPER FUN GROUP. I realize 5 views from over 2500 members is small but in my modest gallery that's pretty good. So I thought I'd share it with all those who may not be on flickr.

The white panel is embossed with a Cuttlebug folder called birds and swirls. The colored sections of the embossed bits were actually colored with SU markers on the folder before the paper was laid on it. The results are mixed with this technique. When I ink the raised surface with an ink pad it looks pretty darned good with dark debossed areas and light embossed areas. Inking in the recessed areas of the folder made the ink slide up the sides and forced it out of some of the images edges altogether.

The bird was cut using the Birds & Blooms Stampin' Up! Sizzlits Die. It's mounted using EK Success 3D-Dots which, at 1/8" thick, add a lot more depth to the bird than the Stampin' Up Stampin' Dimensionals I generally use would have.

I rounded the corner with the We Are Memory Keepers Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper (man what a mouthful). I love that I can chomp through several layers of card stock at once. It's brilliant.

The sentiment is from a long retired SU set but the lines were a bit too long so I lined up a couple of strips of repositionable tape with the sides of the white panel to mask the edges and then stamped the words. This insured that the line would not go beyond the white panel. A bit of genius I thought.
The best bit is that the tape can be reused. It looks weird having bits of repo tape stuck to the side of a shelf or hanging off the edge of my drafting table but it seems a waste to toss it when I can, and will, use it again.




No comments: