Tuesday, January 17, 2017

How to write a thank you note.

In a previous post, I told you why do you say thank you.  In this post, I'll tackle how to say thank you. What do you write on the inside? This is always a problem for me. So I did a bit of research and found out a pretty good formula.

Formula for saying thank you 

1. Don't be self-centered. 
Starting your note with “I” or “We" doesn't make it about your recipient but about you. Instead focus entirely on the other person. Phrases like "You throw a great party", "You are a wonderful cook," or "You have a great talent for finding the perfect gift" will make your recipient happier than saying "I love my new whatchamacallit," 
2. Name it and be specific.
When saying thank you for a gift go beyond just writing down what it is. Write about  how it looks, how it makes you feel, what you'll do with it, or how you will display it. 
If someone gave you money, your thank you note shouldn't read “Thanks for the $50.” Instead it should read “Thank you for your generosity,” no matter what amount is given, because money is always a “generous gift"
3.  How did you benefit from the person's kindness or generosity? 
If you’re thanking friends for a party, mention details about the event that you’ll hold as memories: a favorite food, the table decorations, someone at the party you enjoyed meeting, or anything else that comes to mind as special. 
Before the holiday break several Scout families took turns bringing my son home from meetings. Their kindness allowed me to take improv classes. You better believe I mentioned this benefit when I gave them thank you cards.
4. End your note by writing about when you will be together again.  
You could write something like, "I'll call you next week to arrange a time to meet for lunch or coffee," or "I look forward to seeing you again at so-and-so's birthday party."  If you tell someone you're going to call and make arrangements for a meeting, be the kind of person that makes the call to make arrangements for a meeting. 
5.  Don't use generic salutations.  
Sincerely is fine for someone you don't know but when thanking  a friend or family member put some heart and humor in it. You can allude to the gift, if someone gave you a coffee maker, you could write, "with love from your new favorite barista." 
According to the experts, the stationery for your thank you notes doesn't really matter it's what's on the inside that counts. As a card maker, this seems so very foreign to me. When I make a thank you card the image on the cover relates to the gift or the giver, the event or the host, the kindness or the deed. Here's the latest thank you card I made:
Image from Purple Onion Designs, Sentiment from Mama Elephant.
Sequins from Neat and Tangled. Coloring was done with Copic markers. 

It's important when sending a thank you card that you are timely in getting it in the mail. Two weeks is a good rule of thumb, though I'm sure new parents are given a bit more grace than others.

Happy Crafting,







Resources:A Proper Thank You: Etiquette rules for thank you notes
The Gracious 5-Step Formula for Writing Thank You Notes



No comments: